Thursday, June 11, 2015

Dido said it best

the song White Flag by Dido came out weeks after my breakup with M.  it wasn't exactly the best of times.  we were graduating from law school and preparing to perform our last show with the official law school band whom we fondly called our children.  it was awkward for everyone.

i suddenly remembered the song following the last few of episodes of season 10 of Bones.  i was really fascinated by David Boreanaz, from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, to Angel and now, Bones.  he played Dido's ex-boyfriend in the video.

White Flag
Dido

I know you think that I shouldn't still love you, 
Or tell you that.
But if I didn't say it, well I'd still have felt it 
where's the sense in that? 

I promise I'm not trying to make your life harder 
Or return to where we were 

I will go down with this ship 
And I won't put my hands up and surrender 
There will be no white flag above my door 
I'm in love and always will be 

I know I left too much mess and 
destruction to come back again 
And I caused nothing but trouble 
I understand if you can't talk to me again 
And if you live by the rules of "it's over" 
then I'm sure that that makes sense 

I will go down with this ship 
And I won't put my hands up and surrender 
There will be no white flag above my door 
I'm in love and always will be 

And when we meet 
Which I'm sure we will 
All that was there
Will be there still 
I'll let it pass 
And hold my tongue 
And you will think 
That I've moved on.... 

I will go down with this ship 
And I won't put my hands up and surrender 
There will be no white flag above my door 
I'm in love and always will be 

I will go down with this ship 
And I won't put my hands up and surrender 
There will be no white flag above my door 
I'm in love and always will be 

I will go down with this ship 
And I won't put my hands up and surrender 
There will be no white flag above my door 
I'm in love and always will be

in the video, Dido and David are both celebrities who just recently broke up and are just still trying to adjust to it.  their paths often cross because of the industry they are both in and there is often an awkward silence between them when among friends.  throughout the song it would appear that of the two of them, it was Dido that still loved David, as he is already seen dating someone else.  how peculiar is it that even though apart, they live right next to each other.  by the end of the video we know that it is not just Dido.  David obviously still loves her but both are afraid to say anything.

i am obviously over M and this is definitely not why i remember the song.  it makes me tear up because despite all the things i have been through and my walls constantly being up, i still very much believe that i will find love. sure, i often say i don't anymore and i have lost all hope that i will ever do.  but there's that small spark within me, the Dido, if you will call it, that believes, that hopes, that i will eventually find love.