Wednesday, January 01, 2014

it was the year of the snake alright

every new year, i say to my friends, "this will be our year", and this is in reference to our romantic lives, of course, but we never really have anyone.  at least, i didn't, so by the end of each year, even if a lot of great things happened, it wasn't really a win.  but you know what? 2013 was my year.

yes, 2013 was my year.

for starters, being able to say "NO" to someone you loved for about four years is a big thing.  that's one of the first things i thought i did right in 2013.  it took a while, i know.  despite what all of my friends have been telling me, it didn't really sink in until probably the start of the second quarter of 2013.  call it an epiphany,  a light bulb finally or as my friends joke, "the helmet has been broken".  it hurt but at the same time, it felt good to say no to someone who has been lying to you and taking you for granted for the longest time that it made me realize that i shouldn't feel bad at all.  i was doing this for me.  for me.  for me!!! - enter Freddie Mercury and the rest of Queen for that segment of Bohemian Rhapsody.  it was about time i took care of me and not somebody else, for a change.  it felt much like losing weight.

i sang at my friend's wedding.  it made me appreciate my talent and kicked things off for me, although the realization didn't come until a few months later.  i am grateful for the voice that God gave me and the opportunity to make other people happy by using it.

i got to see a lot of movies but i am not sure i got to see a lot of plays so being able to watch Ely Buendia and Supremo was really exciting for me.

i know i still have to work on taking more vacations but at least i got to go to Baguio, Tagaytay and Enchanted Kingdom again.  it felt like i either forgot my first time or didn't enjoy the experience the first time i was there so i visiting those places were more of a do-over.

i also say that 2013 was my year because after so long, i finally have a tattoo.  it's a pretty small ink on my nape but the fact that i got it makes me so happy.  i also made the decision to quit smoking this year. like for good.   i keep talking about it but i never really do but when i declared it, i think i just thought to stop.  i made sure i was surrounded by people who smoked, tried to expose myself to a lot of social drinking,  the temptation was there so i could see if i would give in and more importantly, when i was doing a lot of extra hours because the pressure at work was getting to me, i didn't feel the need to.  that's when i knew i could do this.  of course, i still have a long way to go.  i have been smoking since 1997 but it's not too late to stop.

the second half of 2013 allowed me to grow professionally.  i had the opportunity to teach classes and welcome new hires every Thursday.

 photo 2014-01-02150544_zpsf423664f.jpg

it showed me that i can do this, that i have so many talents i can be proud of, gifts that i can use to help people.  and finally, before the year ended, i got confirmation that after the secondment, i will be off to a new adventure, one that is again,  totally different from all my previous endeavors.  it won't be easy but i'm anxious to how it all works out.

i am very grateful for 2013.  God has taken care of me and blessed me so much.  it was truly my year, alright.  i look forward to making this one mine too.