Tuesday, July 19, 2011

who will go?

last week, my friend had a birthday concert where i was a guest performer. we were supposed to sing a duet together, aside from the two songs that i have selected (thank God! normally, whenever we're at that place, they choose my songs for me) to perform. it was a fun experience. i haven't done that in a while so i liked the idea, even though i was reluctant at first.

after i sang, a lot of our office colleagues came up to me, asking me when my show is going to be and if i'd do it on my birthday as well. they seemed to genuinely like the sound of my voice and while i was embarrassed, i'm glad they did.

come to think of it, when M and i were still together, i really wanted to do my own repertoire. it's just that she didn't think people recognized the songs i wanted to sing. sure, they're not mine but that's the whole point: if through me, people can hear how good these songs are, they might just listen to them too. of course, we always fought about it. she always won because i let her and because the show wasn't just about me, it was about others too. you know, raising funds, sharing the limelight with the other band members. we had to consider the target audience too, so my acquiescence didn't necessarily mean she was right. it just meant that she is more inclined to bend and compromise what she listened to and sang and i didn't.

so if i were to have my own show, and this i told the people who asked me, if i did, no one would come to see it. i don't think they're familiar with most of the songs i want to sing and i know the few who are, won't be there to see me perform. these were the songs i wish i had written myself. but anyway, here are the songs:

1. Possession by Sarah McLachlan
2. My Favorite Mistake by Sheryl Crow
3. Rolling in the Deep by Adele
4. You Oughta Know by Alanis Morissette
5. Sleeps With Butterflies by Tori Amos
6. Dreams by The Cranberries
7. Decode by Paramore (or The Only Exception - slightly overused by pop artists)
8. Bring Me To Life by Evanescence
9. I Touch Myself by The Divinyls (yes, there's a song about masturbation bound to come out of there sometime)
10. Who Will Save Your Soul by Jewel (or You Were Meant for Me, as it is more apt to reach a wider audience)
11. Because the Night by 10,000 Maniacs
12. Piece of My Heart by Janis Joplin (overused by American Idol contestants)
13. Never is a Promise by Fiona Apple (or Criminal, because it is more upbeat)
14. Inseparable by Natalie Cole
15. I Don't Do Sadness/Blue Wind from the Spring Awakening OST duet with some guy
16. Dancing by Elisa
17. Maps by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs
18. Huling Yakap ng Mundo by Imago (or Akap or Sundo)
19. Maybe by Up Dharma Down

there are other songs i like which i can't remember from the top of my head at the moment. some of the above mentioned songs don't really showcase my range, but they're the ones i imagine myself performing in front of a crowd. these are songs i know not many people would pay to hear me sing, mainly because some of them aren't what you would normally hear over the radio, unless that station happens to be the now-reformatted NU107 or JAM 88.3, which i doubt people listen to. i mean, i'm not trying to undermine people, but those who know me, like really know me, know that i wouldn't sing from the heart unless it is a song that i really believe in.

so if i had a show singing these songs, will YOU go? and if you did, do you think you'll like them?